Ordinary business visa is issued to citizens of Japan, other states and stateless persons to enter the Russian Federation for business purposes (business negotiations, seminars, conferences, meeting business partners etc.)
The visa is issued based on an invitation issued by the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA), or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (Russian MFA) or a written request (invitation) of an organization or an institution.
Business visas can be single or double with a validity period up to 90 days or multiple with a validity period up to 1 year, unless otherwise provided by an international agreement to which the Russian Federation is a party. The duration of stay in the Russian Federation with a multiple-entry visa may not exceed 90 days within any 180 days period.
From January 1, 2017, based on the article 25.6 of the Federal Law №144-ФЗ of 5 August 1996, the diplomatic missions and consular institutions of the Russian Federation issue for the Japanese citizens multiple business visas with a validity period up to 5 years. Such visas allow Japanese citizens to stay in Russia for 90 days continuously, the duration of stay may not exceed 90 days in total within any 180 days period.
Important information for Japanese citizens! According to article 2 of the Agreement between the Government of Russia and the Government of Japan of 28 January 2012 on the simplification of visa issue procedures, Russian diplomatic missions and consular institutions issue single visas with a validity period up to 3 months or multiple visas with a validity period up to 3 years to the following Japanese citizens who wish to enter the Russian Federation:
- Persons who enter Russia for conducting entrepreneurial activity and also to the representatives of commercial organizations;
- Persons who conduct educational, scientific, creative and other cultural activity;
- Participants of international sport events and the people accompanying them in their professional capacity;
- Media professionals who go on short trips for covering individual events;
- Participants of official exchange programs between twinned administrative unites;
- Spouses and children under 21 years old of the Japanese citizens who legally stay for a long term in Russia (Japanese citizens who have a permit to stay in Russia for more than 90 days according to the Russian legislation).
Russian diplomatic missions and consular institutions issue multiple visas to the above mentioned citizens only if the applicant was issued with a Russian visa and legally entered Russia within a year before the application day and besides has grounds to apply for a multiple visa. Please follow this link to access the full text of Agreement between the Government of Russia and the Government of Japan of 28 January 2012 on the simplification of visa issue procedures.
In order to apply for a business visa you must submit the following documents:
- Documents (depending on the purpose of visit) defined by article 2 of the Agreement between the Government of Russia and the Government of Japan on the simplification of visa issuing procedures of 28 January 2012:
- Persons who enter Russia for conducting entrepreneurial activity and also to the representatives of commercial organizations should present a written in English or Russian request issued by the inviting legal entity, organization or Russian state or regional authorities;
- Media professionals who go on short trips for covering individual events should present a confirmation of the purpose of travel issued by a host legal entity or an organization; OR
You can also use our Postal service to submit your visa application by post.
Important! In case you have two or more valid passports, please make sure there are no valid Russian visas in any of the passports before submitting your visa application.
Please note! The Consular section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan may request additional visa documents, invite you for an interview or extend the time of visa issuing procedure.
Rates and Terms
In the current situation, from March 14, 2022, every applicant will be charged an additional temporary visa processing fee of 8,000 yen. The fee will be cancelled once the international air traffic is back to normal. We offer our sincere apologies.
|For citizens of Japan|
|11-20 working days (tourism, transit)*||0 JPY||4500 JPY|
|6-20 working days (other categories)*||0 JPY||4500 JPY|
|4-10 working days (tourism, transit)**||4000 JPY||4500 JPY|
|4-5 working days (other categories)**||4000 JPY||4500 JPY|
|1-3 working days||10000 JPY||4500 JPY|
|For citizens of other countries ***||Single / Double / Multiple entry|
|6-20 working days||10700 / 17150 / 32100 JPY||4500 JPY|
|3-5 working days||21400 / 34300 / 64200 JPY||4500 JPY|
* Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas are exempted from visa fee if processing time is over 11 working days. For other visa categories this exemption is applicable with processing time starting from 6 working days.
** Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas should pay 4000 JPY visa fee if processing time is from 4 to 10 working days. For other visa categories this tariff is applied if processing time is from 4 to 5 working days.
*** If the Russian Federation has a separate bilateral agreement on visa fees amounts with another state, the visa fees applied for the citizens of this state should correspond to the conditions of this agreement.
Multiple entry visa applications with direct invitations from a company/individual are processed within at least 10 working days. Such visas can be issued only in case the applicant visited Russia during the previous year.
All fees are paid at the Visa application center in Japanese yen by card or in cash.
Processing time doesn't include the day of submission and starts from the day the documents are delivered to the Consulate. In certain cases the Consulate can extend or reduce the processing time.
Filling in the Russian visa application form
The application form for a Russian visa should be filled in online on the website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru.
At your request we can fill in the application form for you at the visa center. This is a paid additional service that costs 750 JPY for each page of the application form.
A separate application form must be filled in for each applicant.
If you are going to fill in the application form by yourself, please follow the below recommendations:
- Read carefully and follow the instructions and tooltips on the website.
- When registering a new application form, create a password consisting only of Latin alphabet letters and numbers.
- Write down the password and the number of your application from, which will be assigned automatically. Take your number and password with you to the visa center. The number and password will be useful if you need to print out the form or make corrections, so as not to fill in the entire form again.
- Name and surname spelling must strictly correspond to your passport data page.
- Specified purpose of your travel, duration of stay and number of entries, the data of the host person or organization (name, date of birth, address) should correspond to the invitation.
- Enter information about your previous trips to Russia and other foreign countries according to exit-entry stamps in your passport.
- At the final stage please select the place of submission of your application — Visa Application Center (Tokyo).
- After filling in the application form on the website, print it out in one copy and take it to the visa center.
- If you do not have a printer, we can print out your application form at the price of 100 JPY per sheet.