A private visa is issued for the citizens of Japan, other states or stateless persons for a short stay in the Russian Federation based on one of the below documents:
- Invitation of the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA (before - FMS Russia) that was issued on a request of a Russian citizen, a foreigner having a Russian residence permit or a legal entity , OR
- Written application of a Russian citizen addressed to the Head of Russian diplomatic mission or consular institution, requesting issuance of a private visa to a close relative or a member of his family, OR
Notarized invitation issued to a Japanese citizen by another Japanese citizen, his/her close relative, in case the inviting person has a permit to stay in Russia for more than 90 days (according to the article 2
of the Agreement between the Government of Russia and the Government of Japan of 28 January 2012 on the simplification of visa issue procedures); OR
- Written request to the Head of Russian diplomatic mission or consular institution from a foreign citizen who needs to travel to Russia for urgent medical treatment or due to a serious illness or death of a close relative. The below supporting documents should be added to this request:
- a written confirmation from a Russian medical institution issued on an official letterhead (stamped) indicating the necessity of urgent medical care, urgent hospitalization, urgent examination or a serious illness of the person who is being visited and who requires constant care; OR
- death certificate of the applicant’s close relative (spouses, children, parents, including parents-in-law, if a spouse is an accompanying person); OR
- international telegram certified by an official from a respective postal institution with a message reporting death of a citizen;
- a document confirming immediate relationship of the applicant and the person to be visited or immediate relationship of the applicant and the deceased.
Private visa can be single-, double- or multiple-entry.
From January 1, 2017 based on the Article 25.6 of the Federal Law №144-ФЗ of 5 August 1996 the diplomatic missions and consular institutions of the Russian Federation issue for the Japanese citizens multiple private
visas with the validity period up to 1 year. Such visas allow Japanese tourists to stay in Russia for 90 continuous days, totally for 90 days within any 180 day period.
In order to apply for a private visa you must submit the following:
- The original of the invitation or a printed copy of an electronic invitation to enter Russia issued by the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA;
- OR A written application addressed to the head of Russian Diplomatic mission or Consular institution by a Russian citizen requesting a private visa for his foreign family members or close relatives. For more information please check the page Private visa for close relatives.
OR Notarized invitation for a Japanese citizen from his close relative, a Japanese citizen who has a permit to stay in Russia for more than 90 days. Also the following documents must be
- Notarized copy of the first passport page and valid Russian visa of the inviting Japanese citizen;
- Copy and original (will be returned) of a document proving close relationship between the applicant and the invited person (marriage certificate, birth certificate etc.).
Electronic Visa Application Form, filled out in Russian or English, and printed directly from the following website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry:
. (Please follow the instructions for the procedure, available at the above mentioned website, provided in Russian as well as other languages, including Japanese).
Citizens of Georgia, Australia and CIS countries must fill in the visa application in Russian. The Russian Visa center can fill in the visa application on
You can also use our Postal service to submit your visa application by post.
Important! In case you have two or more valid passports, please make sure there are no valid Russian visas in any of the passports before submitting your visa application.
Please note! The Consular section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan may request additional visa documents, invite you for an interview or extend the time of visa issuing procedure .
Rates and Terms
|For citizens of Japan
|11-20 working days (tourism, transit)*
|6-20 working days (other categories)*
|4-10 working days (tourism, transit)**
|4-5 working days (other categories)**
|1-3 working days
||10000 JPY||4500 JPY
|6-20 working days||10820 / 17310 / 32450 JPY||4500 JPY|
|3-5 working days||21635 / 34615 / 64900 JPY||4500 JPY|
* Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas are exempted from visa fee if processing time is over 11 working days. For other visa categories this exemption is applicable with processing time starting from 6 working days.
** Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas should pay 4000 JPY visa fee if processing time is from 4 to 10 working days. For other visa categories this tariff is applied if processing time is from 4 to 5 working days.
*** If the Russian Federation has a separate bilateral agreement on visa fees amounts with another state, the visa fees applied for the citizens of this state should
correspond to the conditions of this agreement.
****In the current situation, from March 14, 2022, every applicant will be charged an additional temporary visa processing fee of 8,000 yen. The fee will be cancelled once the international air traffic is back to normal. We offer our sincere apologies.
Multiple entry visa applications with direct invitations from a company/individual are processed within at least 10 working days. Such visas can be issued only in case the applicant visited Russia during the previous
All fees are paid at the Visa application center in Japanese yen by card or in cash.
Processing time doesn't include the day of submission and starts from the day the documents are delivered to the Consulate. In certain cases the Consulate can extend or reduce the processing time.
Filling in the Russian visa application form
The application form for a Russian visa should be filled in online on the website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru.
At your request we can fill in the application form for you at the visa center. This is a paid additional service that costs 750 JPY for each page of the application form.
A separate application form must be filled in for each applicant.
If you are going to fill in the application form by yourself, please follow the below recommendations :
- Read carefully and follow the instructions and tooltips on the website.
- When registering a new application form, create a password consisting only of Latin alphabet letters and numbers.
- Write down the password and the number of your application from, which will be assigned automatically. Take your number and password with you to the visa center. The number and password will be useful if you need to print out the form or make corrections, so as not to fill in the entire form again.
- Name and surname spelling must strictly correspond to your passport data page.
- Specified purpose of your travel, duration of stay and number of entries, the data of the host person or organization (name, date of birth, address) should correspond to the invitation.
- Enter information about your previous trips to Russia and other foreign countries according to exit-entry stamps in your passport.
- At the final stage please select the place of submission of your application — Visa Application Center (Tokyo).
- After filling in the application form on the website, print it out in one copy and take it to the visa center.
- If you do not have a printer, we can print out your application form at the price of 100 JPY per sheet.