Student visas are issued to the citizens of Japan, other states or non-stateless persons for the entry to the Russian Federation with a purpose of studying in an educational institution on the basis of an invitation issued by the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation (MIA), or based on the decision of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (MFA).
A study visa can be single or double with the validity period up to 90 days.
The subsequent visa extension is carried out by an administrative unit of the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA (before - FMS Russia) at the place of residence and registration of the foreign citizen by issuing a multiple visa valid for the duration period of the study contract that is concluded in accordance with the Russian legislation, but not exceeding 1 year for each consecutive visa.
To apply for a student visa you must submit the following documents:
- copy of birth certificate (notarized and translated into Russian)
- consent of the parent / parents for the departure of the child from the country (notarized and translated into Russian)
If you are not a Japanese citizen please check the additional requirements for the citizens of your respective country and follow this link to check the additional information.
You can also use our Postal service to submit your visa application by post.
Important! In case you have two or more valid passports, please make sure there are no valid Russian visas in any of the passports before submitting your visa application.
Please note! The Consular section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan may request additional visa documents, invite you for an interview or extend the time of visa issuing procedure.
In the current situation, from March 14, 2022, every applicant will be charged an additional temporary visa processing fee of 8,000 yen. The fee will be cancelled once the international air traffic is back to normal. We offer our sincere apologies.
Rates and Terms
|For citizens of Japan
|11-20 working days (tourism, transit)*
|6-20 working days (other categories)*
|4-10 working days (tourism, transit)**
|4-5 working days (other categories)**
|1-3 working days
||10000 JPY||4500 JPY
|For citizens of other countries ***||Single / Double / Multiple entry|
|6-20 working days||10700 / 17150 / 32100 JPY||4500 JPY|
|3-5 working days||21400 / 34300 / 64200 JPY||4500 JPY|
* Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas are exempted from visa fee if processing time is over 11 working days. For other visa categories this exemption is applicable with processing time starting from 6 working days.
** Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas should pay 4000 JPY visa fee if processing time is from 4 to 10 working days. For other visa categories this tariff is applied if processing time is from 4 to 5 working days.
*** If the Russian Federation has a separate bilateral agreement on visa fees amounts with another state, the visa fees applied for the citizens of this state should correspond to the conditions of this agreement.
Multiple entry visa applications with direct invitations from a company/individual are processed within at least 10 working days. Such visas can be issued only in case the applicant visited Russia during the previous year.
All fees are paid at the Visa application center in Japanese yen by card or in cash.
Processing time doesn't include the day of submission and starts from the day the documents are delivered to the Consulate. In certain cases the Consulate can extend or reduce the processing time.
Filling in the Russian visa application form
The application form for a Russian visa should be filled in online on the website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru.
At your request we can fill in the application form for you at the visa center. This is a paid additional service that costs 750 JPY for each page of the application form.
A separate application form must be filled in for each applicant.
If you are going to fill in the application form by yourself, please follow the below recommendations:
- Read carefully and follow the instructions and tooltips on the website.
- When registering a new application form, create a password consisting only of Latin alphabet letters and numbers.
- Write down the password and the number of your application from, which will be assigned automatically. Take your number and password with you to the visa center. The number and password will be useful if you need to print out the form or make corrections, so as not to fill in the entire form again.
- Name and surname spelling must strictly correspond to your passport data page.
- Specified purpose of your travel, duration of stay and number of entries, the data of the host person or organization (name, date of birth, address) should correspond to the invitation.
- Enter information about your previous trips to Russia and other foreign countries according to exit-entry stamps in your passport.
- At the final stage please select the place of submission of your application — Visa Application Center (Tokyo).
- After filling in the application form on the website, print it out in one copy and take it to the visa center.
- If you do not have a printer, we can print out your application form at the price of 100 JPY per sheet.