Single-entry transit visa is issued for the citizens of Japan, other states or stateless persons for the duration of up to 10 days (by train or by car) and for 3 days (by plane) transit through the Russian territory based on travel documents valid for leaving Russia, a valid visa that allows an entry to the neighboring/destination country or the passport of this state.
A foreign citizen traveling through Russia to the destination country by vehicle can be issued a transit visa for a period sufficient to complete the travel taking the shortest possible route (but not exceeding 10 days period). In this case the visa duration is calculated based on an average estimated daily mileage - 500 km.
The validity period of a double-entry transit visa may not exceed one month. If a foreign citizen needs to travel through Russia to a third country and to return by the same route through the Russian territory within a period exceeding one month, he/she should first apply for a single-entry transit visa. The second transit visa should be applied for at the Russian Consulate in the first destination country.
A transit visa is not required:
- in case of a direct flight over the Russian Federation territory;
- in case of an international connection flight with a layover in a Russian airport, provided that there is a transit area and that the next flight is scheduled within 24 hours following the arrival. Please note: Transit visa is required in case the foreign citizen leaves the airport transit area.
Important! Since the Agreement on Customs Union signed by Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan has come into force, all flights between these countries are considered as domestic. Therefore border and passport control is carried out only in one of these countries. Therefore passengers traveling to Belarus or Kazakhstan with a flight change in Russia must obtain a transit visa beforehand.
Please note: Foreign citizens traveling on cruise ships and ferryboats that make a stop at a Russian port (Big and Passenger ports of Saint-Petersburg, Vladivostok, Vyborg, Kaliningrad, Korsakov (Sakhalin Oblast), Novorossiysk, Sevastopol and Sochi) for no more than 72 hours can stay in Russia without a visa, provided that they live on board of a cruise ship, ferryboat or at any other place determined by a group tour program and the company providing the tour has carried out all necessary procedures.
The following documents are required to apply for a single- or double-entry transit visa:
- Travel documents valid for entering and leaving the Russian Federation.
- A valid visa that allows an entry to the neighboring/destination country or the passport of this country, unless otherwise provided by an international agreement. A transit visa is not required for the citizens of states that have the right to enter the neighboring countries or the destination state without visa according to existing agreements between them;
- Passport with no less than 2 empty pages for visas, valid for 6 months from the visa expiry date;
- Electronic Visa Application Form, filled out in Russian or English, and printed directly from the following website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru. (Please follow the instructions for the procedure, available at the above mentioned website, provided in Russian as well as other languages, including Japanese). Citizens of Georgia, Australia and CIS countries must fill in the visa application in Russian. The Russian Visa center can fill in the visa application on your behalf;
- One passport size (3.5 x 4.5 cm) clear photo in color taken full-face directly facing the camera and against a plain white or light-colored background. Only non-tinted prescription glasses and head covering worn daily for a religious purpose or as a part of national costume (in this case the same head covering must be worn in the passport photo) are allowed. At the Russian visa center you can opt for "Express Photo" service;
- If you are not a Japanese citizen please check the additional requirements for the citizens of your respective country and follow this link to check the additional information.
You can also use our Postal service to submit your visa application by post.
Important! In case you have two or more valid passports, please make sure there are no valid Russian visas in any of the passports before submitting your visa application.
Please note! The Consular section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan may request additional visa documents, invite you for an interview or extend the time of visa issuing procedure.
Rates and Terms
|Processing time||Consular fee||Service fee|
|For citizens of Japan|
|11-20 working days (tourism, transit)*||0 JPY||4500 JPY|
|6-20 working days (other categories)*||0 JPY||4500 JPY|
|4-10 working days (tourism, transit)**||4000 JPY||4500 JPY|
|4-5 working days (other categories)**||4000 JPY||4500 JPY|
|1-3 working days||10000 JPY||4500 JPY|
|For citizens of other countries ***||Single / Double / Multiple entry|
|6-20 working days||10820 / 17310 / 32450 JPY||4500 JPY|
|3-5 working days||21635 / 34615 / 64900 JPY||4500 JPY|
* Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas are exempted from visa fee if processing time is over 11 working days. For other visa categories this exemption is applicable with processing time starting from 6 working days.
** Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas should pay 4000 JPY visa fee if processing time is from 4 to 10 working days. For other visa categories this tariff is applied if processing time is from 4 to 5 working days.
*** If the Russian Federation has a separate bilateral agreement on visa fees amounts with another state, the visa fees applied for the citizens of this state should correspond to the conditions of this agreement.
****In the current situation, from March 14, 2022, every applicant will be charged an additional temporary visa processing fee of 8,000 yen. The fee will be cancelled once the international air traffic is back to normal. We offer our sincere apologies.
Multiple entry visa applications with direct invitations from a company/individual are processed within at least 10 working days. Such visas can be issued only in case the applicant visited Russia during the previous year.
All fees are paid at the Visa application center in Japanese yen by card or in cash.
Processing time doesn't include the day of submission and starts from the day the documents are delivered to the Consulate. In certain cases the Consulate can extend or reduce the processing time.
Filling in the Russian visa application form
The application form for a Russian visa should be filled in online on the website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru.
At your request we can fill in the application form for you at the visa center. This is a paid additional service that costs 750 JPY for each page of the application form.
A separate application form must be filled in for each applicant.
If you are going to fill in the application form by yourself, please follow the below recommendations:
- Read carefully and follow the instructions and tooltips on the website.
- When registering a new application form, create a password consisting only of Latin alphabet letters and numbers.
- Write down the password and the number of your application from, which will be assigned automatically. Take your number and password with you to the visa center. The number and password will be useful if you need to print out the form or make corrections, so as not to fill in the entire form again.
- Name and surname spelling must strictly correspond to your passport data page.
- Specified purpose of your travel, duration of stay and number of entries, the data of the host person or organization (name, date of birth, address) should correspond to the invitation.
- Enter information about your previous trips to Russia and other foreign countries according to exit-entry stamps in your passport.
- At the final stage please select the place of submission of your application — Visa Application Center (Tokyo).
- After filling in the application form on the website, print it out in one copy and take it to the visa center.
- If you do not have a printer, we can print out your application form at the price of 100 JPY per sheet.
We would like to inform you that at the Russian visa application centers you can opt for the following additional (paid) services:
- Visa application form filling;
- Photocopy / printing out of documents;
- Express photos;
- Submitting applications by mail;
- Courier delivery of processed applications;
- SMS notifications.
- Using the above mentioned services does not influence processing time of your visa application and does not guarantee that the visa will be issued;
- The charges for the above services are collected in addition to the service fee;
- All the above mentioned services are provided only at your request;
- Please read all the terms and conditions before opting for these services.