Work visas are issued to the citizens of Japan, other states or non-stateless persons for the entry to the Russian Federation with a purpose of conducting labor activity on submitting an invitation issued by the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA (before - FMS Russia).
A work visa can be single or double with the validity period of 90 days or multiple with the validity period of 1-3 years.
According to the Article 3 of the Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the Government of Japan of 28 January 2012 on the simplification of visa issue procedures, Russian Embassy in Japan can issue for the below mentioned categories of Japanese citizens aiming to enter Russia single visas with the validity period up to 3 months. Then relevant Russian authorities can issue for such citizens multiple visas with the validity period up to 3 years that allow continuous stay in Russia during the whole visa validity period.
Such visas can be issued to the following categories of applicants:
а) staff of the representative offices or subsidiaries of foreign legal entities or organizations, conducting their activity in the host country
b) staff of the representative offices of foreign Mass Media, conducting their activity in the host country
с) spouses and children under 21 years old of the citizens specified in items "a" and "b".
In order to apply for a work visa you must submit the following:
- The original of the invitation issued by the General Administration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation ; OR
- The decision of Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on issuing a visa to the Russian Federation;
- Passport with no less than 2 empty pages for visas, valid for 1,5 years starting on the visa effective date (the exception is a visa for highly qualified specialist - the passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months after the day of visa expiry);
- Electronic Visa Application Form, filled out in Russian or English, and printed directly from the following website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru. (Please follow the instructions for the procedure, available at the above mentioned website, provided in Russian as well as other languages, including Japanese). Citizens of Georgia, Australia and CIS countries must fill in the visa application in Russian. The Russian Visa center can fill in the visa application on your behalf;
- One passport size (3.5 x 4.5 cm) clear photo in color taken full-face directly facing the camera and against a plain white or light-colored background. Only non-tinted prescription glasses and head covering worn daily for a religious purpose or as a part of national costume (in this case the same head covering must be worn in the passport photo) are allowed. At the Russian visa center you can opt for "Express Photo" service;
- When applying for a visa with the validity period exceeding 90 days you also need to present a negative HIV-test result (a blood test). This medical certificate must be issued within 90 days prior to submission.
- If you are not a Japanese citizen please check the additional requirements for the citizens of your respective country and follow this link to check the additional information.
You can also use our Postal service to submit your visa application by post.
Important! In case you have two or more valid passports, please make sure there are no valid Russian visas in any of the passports before submitting your visa application.
Please note! The Consular section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan may request additional visa documents, invite you for an interview or extend the time of visa issuing procedure.
Rates and Terms
|For citizens of Japan
|11-20 working days (tourism, transit)*
|6-20 working days (other categories)*
|4-10 working days (tourism, transit)**
|4-5 working days (other categories)**
|1-3 working days
||10000 JPY||4500 JPY
|For citizens of other countries ***
||Single / Double / Multiple entry
|6-20 working days||9600 / 15360 / 28800 JPY
|3-5 working days
||19200 / 30720 / 57600 JPY
* Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas are exempted from visa fee if processing time is over 11 working days. For other visa categories this exemption is applicable with processing time starting from 6 working days.
** Japanese nationals applying for Tourist and Transit visas should pay 4000 JPY visa fee if processing time is from 4 to 10 working days. For other visa categories this tariff is applied if processing time is from 4 to 5 working days.
*** If the Russian Federation has a separate bilateral agreement on visa fees amounts with another state, the visa fees applied for the citizens of this state should correspond to the conditions of this agreement.
Multiple entry visa applications with direct invitations from a company/individual are processed within at least 10 working days. Such visas can be issued only in case the applicant visited Russia during the previous year.
All fees are paid at the Visa application center in Japanese yen by card or in cash.
Processing time doesn't include the day of submission and starts from the day the documents are delivered to the Consulate. In certain cases the Consulate can extend or reduce the processing time.
Filling in the Russian visa application form
The application form for a Russian visa should be filled in online on the website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru.
At your request we can fill in the application form for you at the visa center. This is a paid additional service that costs 1500 JPY for each page of the application form.
A separate application form must be filled in for each applicant.
If you are going to fill in the application form by yourself, please follow the below recommendations:
- Read carefully and follow the instructions and tooltips on the website.
- When registering a new application form, create a password consisting only of Latin alphabet letters and numbers.
- Write down the password and the number of your application from, which will be assigned automatically. Take your number and password with you to the visa center. The number and password will be useful if you need to print out the form or make corrections, so as not to fill in the entire form again.
- Name and surname spelling must strictly correspond to your passport data page.
- Specified purpose of your travel, duration of stay and number of entries, the data of the host person or organization (name, date of birth, address) should correspond to the invitation.
- Enter information about your previous trips to Russia and other foreign countries according to exit-entry stamps in your passport.
- At the final stage please select the place of submission of your application — Visa Application Center (Tokyo).
- After filling in the application form on the website, print it out in one copy and take it to the visa center.
- If you do not have a printer, we can print out your application form at the price of 100 JPY per sheet.